COVID-19 UPDATE IN ILLINOIS

Chrissy Makris, Staff Reporter

On Friday, Aug. 20, the city of Chicago’s masked mandate was put into effect, followed by Cook County, which was put into effect on Monday, Aug. 23. People ages two and older, regardless of vaccination status are required to wear a mask when indoors at all times, this includes restaurants and stores. 

COVID-19 cases have been rapidly increasing over the last few months, and the need for masks have become more and more crucial. Before school officially started, WHS was planning on not requiring masks, but with COVID-19 and the delta variant still being threats to people’s health, they decided against it. The delta variant is equally contagious and dangerous and causes bigger outbreaks of COVID-19. 

As of Sept. 2, there have been a reported 26 Illinois schools that have COVID-19 outbreaks, with 546 students and staff having exposures. Also, there are reportedly 4,224 new cases and 51 deaths in Illinois. As of Sept. 13, at WHS, there is one.

Active positive cases, which are people who have tested positive for COVID-19, are isolated for a minimum of 10 calendar days, and 20 people from WHS are currently in active quarantine, resulting from coming in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

Those who are vaccinated are exempt from this.