The Student News Site of Wheeling High School

WCAT News

WCAT News

WCAT News

Polls

Which Season is Best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Michael Thomas Officially Released by the Saints

Welp, it’s official. The Saints released Michael Thomas after 8 seasons of service with New Orleans. Thomas, who was a former 2nd-round pick out of Ohio State came into the league on fire with Drew Brees. Through his first four seasons with the Saints he racked up 470 catches, with 21,034 receiving yards, and 32 touchdowns. While also leading the league in receptions in 2019 and breaking Marvin Harrison’s 143 catches back in 2002, which ultimately awarded him AP Offensive Player of the Year. At just 26 he deservingly got paid a 5 year $97 million deal.

He never reached those levels again. Ultimately, it all crashed down Week 1 2020 vs the Buccaneers, he then missed all of 2021 due to surgery, missed most of 2022, and just 10 games last season. Now at 31, in this stage of his career with injuries the Saints decided to move on and release the veteran wideout.

It’ll be interesting to see what his free agent market will look like. Some teams do need his play style in their offenses but it may be a risk. At the end of the day, players come and go. No matter what you did in the past, today is a “what have you done for me lately” league and if you can’t stay healthy you’re gone. It’s sad to see as a Saints fan but it had to be done. I wish the best for him.